[Wylug-help] BT (ADSL?) connection instead of cable ... or not.

John Craven jc at ukzone.com
Fri Mar 23 11:05:13 UTC 2012

Hi Roger...

I don't quite understand your problem. As far as I know you can run a
linux server on any ADSL connection.
What support do you need ???
Any support that I need I get from googling the problem. I have been
doing this for around 6 years.

I use ZEN Internet. It costs me just over £25.00 per month (incl VAT)
and I get 8 IP numbers (5 useable). I run 2 servers and 2 name servers
and I have a spare IP number for testing purposes.

I have never needed to use them for linux support. I find linuxquestions
more that adequate.

hth

John C

On 23/03/2012 00:25, Roger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The background ...
>
> For ages, I've been on Cable for my LAN's internet connection: first
> Bradford Cable, then Yorkshire Cable, then Virgin.  At that time, the
> Virgin Home service wasn't adequate for my needs - I was serving a
> number of websites from my server - so I changed to ntl Business as my
> ISP.
>
> All too soon, Virgin took over ntl, so since then I've been paying for
> the Virgin Business service.
>
> For technical, rather than commercial, reasons (I couldn't fix the
> problems cause by IANA's most recent IP table changes) I no longer
> serve websites (though I keep Apache running to serve my intra-net).
> That means I don't need that level of service, while retirement means
> that the cost (~£40 per month) really isn't justified...
>
> The question ...
>
> One option I looked at seriously was the Post Office's phone+broadband
> package (half the price).  However, their website only offers support
> for Windows and Apple machines, while I want to keep running my Linux
> server.
>
> Since I have a cable connection, their website couldn't cope and when
> I rang their 0800 number, they told me I'd have to have my cable
> connection removed and replaced by a BT line.
>
> As a first reaction, I told them I wasn't interested and hung up.  I
> know how to handle a cable connection with my Linux server, but
> handling a BT, presumably ADSL, connection, to my Linux server (when
> they don't say they support Linux) freaked me out.  Where would I get
> the advice I'd need to cope?
>
> Is anyone here able to provide such advice (how to handle a BT ADSL
> connection), or to suggest an alternative Linux-friendly, cable ISP -
> at a lower cost than I'm paying now?
>
> TIA,
> Roger

> Text inserted by Panda IS 2012:
>
> This message has NOT been classified as spam. If it is unsolicited
> mail (spam), click on the following link to reclassify it:
> http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_28259&SPAM=true&path=C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Internet%20Security%202012\AntiSpam

   Check out our British Country Music Web Sites

         http://www.countrymusic.org.uk
         http://www.bcmi-radio.co.uk

   Over 300,000 visitors a week