[Wylug-help] BT (ADSL?) connection instead of cable ... or not.

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 11:11:48 UTC 2012

On Friday 23 March 2012 11:05:07 John Craven wrote:
> Hi Roger...
>
> I don't quite understand your problem. As far as I know you can run a
> linux server on any ADSL connection.

This really depends on the package provided by the ISP. Many of the 'domestic'
providers don't support static IP's, and don't support incoming connections.
Some deliberately strap down the firewalls on their ADSL routers to prevent
it.

For any ISP that does provide static IP's there should not be a problem as
there is very little point providing a static IP and then blocking incoming
connections.  As for Linux support. Just make sure that the router is CAT5
and not USB and you should be fine. Your Linux box will see it as just
another firewall.

Gary