[Wylug-help] fedup upgrade to 18 broke my touchpad on DELL Vostro

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 18 10:24:51 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 18 Jun 2013 10:54:25 Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I've looked at Centos before but the install seemed to be a hastle
> as many of the packages I use are not (easily) available,
> especially for workstations - although I have heard a few people
> saying CentoS isn't a workstation OS.

Was supposed to be a web server.  I remember helping some of the
CentOS people at - www.fosdem.org

> I've also heard bad things about Ubuntu's UI on recent releases
> which has really put me off.

There's a lot of comment about Unity.  Not a lot of it is all that
pleasant.  Some people have moved to LXDE.  Nice desktop with lots of
functionality.  Linux Mint ?  Nice desktop.  Wouldn't like to use it
for a web server.

> I must admit that until Fedora 17 I have been very happy with
> Fedora. Even 17 seemed to work okay although it ws the first time
> ever that I have seen a signicant decline in performance purely by
> performing one version upgrade.  I now have F18 on both my office
> desktop and laptop and my desktop is now that slow that it's
> virually unusable (it is quite old but still coped with 17).

I had F12 problems.  Seems to have come back in F18.  I couldn't use
Kdenlive and other desktop apps without the desktop crashing <shrug>
After going somewhere else I managed to turn this out.  Feel better
now...

http://sleepypenguin.homelinux.org/blog/

--
Richard