[Wylug-help] fedup upgrade to 18 broke my touchpad on DELL Vostro

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Tue Jun 18 09:54:28 UTC 2013

On Monday 17 June 2013 17:14:56 Simon Greenwood wrote:
> I support a lot of Centos machines and run Xubuntu on desktops these days
> and I haven't really been convinced by Fedora as either a server or a
> desktop distribution for a long time as every new version seems to break
> something. Scientific Linux does seem to be a good middle ground for both
> if you don't need cutting edge or rock solid stability.
>
> s/

I've looked at Centos before but the install seemed to be a hastle as many of
the packages I use are not (easily) available, especially for workstations -
although I have heard a few people saying CentoS isn't a workstation OS.

I'm interested in your comments regarding Scientific Linux not being rock
solid as that was one of the distributions I was going to have a look at.

I've also heard bad things about Ubuntu's UI on recent releases which has
really put me off.

I must admit that until Fedora 17 I have been very happy with Fedora. Even 17
seemed to work okay although it ws the first time ever that I have seen a
signicant decline in performance purely by performing one version upgrade.  I
now have F18 on both my office desktop and laptop and my desktop is now that
slow that it's virually unusable (it is quite old but still coped with 17).

--
Gary Stainburn
Group I.T. Manager