[Wylug-help] HA webserver

sh2515+linux linux at sh2515.plus.com
Fri May 10 07:47:03 UTC 2013

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to read this, sorry if you get multiple
e-mails I can't recall which groups I have access to. I am wanting to
know how to implement a High Availability Owncloud for a charity I am
involved with, who would benefit greatly from Owncloud.

I am currently trying to implement IT services for "the well project" -
http://www.thewellproject.org.uk/ - in Normanton, West Yorkshire, a
charity setup by Normanton All Saints Parish Church.  The well project
helps children in a deprived area of Normanton, where anti social
behaviour is high, by giving them activities and out of school education
to curtail anti social behaviour and try and put them on the right track
for life.  I have obtained some old servers from the a member of the
local Linux User Group (LUG) and I am in the process of setting up a
proxy server - due to the surfeit of unwanted websites and videos
children watch (2girls and a cup mostly) who bypass the standard windows
parental control - and want to implement Owncloud for the users of the
well project.  Part of this is to allow children to use our IT for
homework etc but be able to access the work from home and school.  This
is why I want to implement Owncloud but in a High Availability/failover
(primary/secondary) cluster, as I have a full time job and would only be
able to fix issues when I have finished work. Unfortunately we are
unable to purchase the enterprise edition of owncloud, which includes
HA, however, I am willing to put in the work necessary to set this
facility up for the well project (I am not an IT expert, but have good
Linux knowledge) but just need to know what partitions are needed on a
DRBD, Heartbeat cluster for an Owncloud failover to be functional -
alternative ideas welcome. Any help to point me in the right direction
would be greatly appreciated.

I e-mailed Owncloud and they said it's a webserver, look up Wordpress
DRBD with mySQL, but couldn't find anything specific.

2 servers as a proxy with owncloud in a primary secondary role.

Best regards

Scott