[Wylug-help] windows eight

roger roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Wed May 15 20:13:49 UTC 2013

On 15/05/13 18:30, James Holden wrote:
> On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 08:07:51PM +0100, jh wrote:
>> hello,
>> first of all i'm not computer illiterate. but i'm struggling with trying to install linux mint.
>> i've recently bought a new laptop with the windows eight operating system, which is terrible. i fancied linux mint so i thought i'd try it on my old laptop as a dual boot system, but the internet/wireless settings would not transfer. after checking with various forums and hours of messing about, i gave up on that one. so i downloaded a 64 bit version for the new laptop. wanting to install linux and remove windows after checking forums and youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H171_m2HxwI and hours of messing about i  gave up. can anyone please assist
i've just been through a similar saga.  After 2 days (till 3 & 4 am) I
couldn't get Mint to access the internet.  My solution, which worked in
less than an hour, was to install Fedora 18 instead.

Much seems to depend on how "ordinary" is your setup.  My quirks are not
using DHCP, not having a router (WAP & a switch, connecting to the cable
modem via an old PC running LEAF firewall software). With this I know
just enough to cope, but it isn't what Mint seems to expect.