[Wylug-help] HTTPS alternative

John Leach john at johnleach.co.uk
Wed Nov 6 10:57:21 UTC 2013

On 06/11/13 06:24, sh2515+linux wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there an alternative to HTTPS for connecting to owncloud services, as
> obtaining an SSL certificate is quite expensive for my uses?
> Also is anyone a penetration tester, that maybe able to test my personal
> site for vulnerabilities?

you can get a free ssl certificate from cacert.org. They're recognised
by browsers in Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS and many other distros. Windows
and Mac and other OS users can install the cert easily enough too -
http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3

One downside is you have to renew the cert every 6 months until you go
through some physical registration steps.

Still an interesting and valuable project though!

I use a cacert cert for my owncloud install and the owncloud client on
my android phone is happy to accept it!

John.