[Wylug-help] configuring LAMP

nigel xm2 at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 31 17:54:50 UTC 2013

Could anyone suggest what to try to get LAMP working? I am using Ubuntu
13.10. This LAMP will only be accessed locally by me.

When I put localhost into my browser I get 403 Forbidden
"You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Apache/2.4.6 (Ubuntu) Server at localhost Port 80"

When I do sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start
I get
 * Starting web server apache2 AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably
determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set
the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
 *

I have done sudo gedit /etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl.conf and
changed my home folder like this
DocumentRoot /home/nigel/Documents/local

I have done sudo nautilus and set the permissions for this folder as
best I can (I don't know what they should be set to).

Please phrase your advice in beginner's terms or, sadly, I won't
understand you (-:

Thank you

Best wishes
Nigel