[Wylug-help] Wifi DNS Problems

Andrew J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Tue Nov 4 19:32:17 UTC 2014

>For some weeks now, I seem to have lost dns lookup capabilities over
>other people's wifi networks on my Acer 720 (running Ubuntu LTS).

>The weird thing is that I have no problem whatsoever on my home wifi
>network, which presumably follows similar rules.

Could it be that your supplier has recently started restricting DNS
lookups to customers from its own IP ranges?

>I can authenticate and connect to any network, but am completely
>unable to route through to the internet.

What does your resolv.conf contain?

What does netstat -r say?

How about ping and/or traceroute to a know IP?

The DNS server(s) listed in your resolv.conf will do?

>I've never really understood Network Manager and forgotten most of
>what I used to know about setting routing etc via ifconfig, so can
>someone suggest some sort of diagnostic procedure that I could use to
>identify the actual problem?

Most people will have their router (and/or their own servers) providing
DDNS services to their wired and WiFi clients.

Andrew