[Wylug-help] Wifi DNS Problems

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Wed Nov 12 22:09:41 UTC 2014

Not sure if you sorted this, but....

As well as handing out an IP address, subnet mask and default router, a
networks dhcp servers will serve up the name servers to use on that
network. There is usually some magic that populates /etc/resolv.conf with
the correct name servers the the dhcpclient software gets the info.
Sometimes this magic is messed up.

It looks like the /etc/resolv.conf file is "hard coded" for working on your
home network - using name servers valid for your ISP, that won't respond
to outside queries.

I googled "ubuntu resolv.conf not getting updated by dhcp" I got some hits
that might help.

cheers
Jim