[Wylug-help] Set PDF background to transparent without quality loss

Dan Walker wylug at danielwalker.fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 21 09:15:46 UTC 2015

Hmm.

Editing scanned bitmaps might well reduce quality - you won't get
decent-looking lines if the scan goes through a .JPG stage.

Ideally, you'd get / recreate the invoice paper in a vector package -
You could try asking whoever created it in the first place, or maybe try
converting your scan to vector with Inkscape, then output it as a PDF
after clean-up?

Failing that—and cleaning up vectors traced from a bitmap can be
tiresome—you could try setting your scanner to produce non-compressed
(or lossless) images such and PNG or GIF, and then convert the white to
transparent with Imagemagick (e.g. see
http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?t=12619 - I
haven't tried it though )

There's no ideal solution from a scanned image, scanned bitmaps are hard
to make look "clean" when they're actually artwork rather than photographs.

Yrs,

Dan

(Gosh, it's been a while since I posted here ;)