[Wylug-help] Crunched phablet screen

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Sep 21 09:28:07 UTC 2015

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015, Darren Menachem Drapkin wrote:

> Recently, my no-name phablet got its screen broken.I was leaning against
> a sofa, with the phablet in a pocket.
> I have gone round shops trying to get it repaired.
> Most have said that they can not do it in Leeds and are going to charge
> me £100, at least, to have it repaired somewhere else. One plucky guy
> broke ranks and admitted  that it was a generic part and that I could
> get them online.
> I have looked online and found a place that sells the part/assembly in
> question for $18.00. Now  the hard bit is how to get the old screen off
> and replace it with the new one. If I look up the procedure, can the
> regulars show me what I am doing wrong as I do it? This will probably be
> at October's meeting at the earliest,though.

If it was a case of replacing the digitizer/LCD as a unit, it's a piece of
cake, and I've done that with a Nexus 7.  In my case the flash failed and I
bought a broken 7 with a smashed screen to frankenstein for less than twenty
quid off ebay.  If you've never done it before, it's a 30 minute job being
careful not to damage any ribbon cables as you take it apart, but it's not too
tricky.

If you're looking at separating the front glass from the LCD, good luck with
that.  Lots of fun with guitar wire and heat guns seems to be the norm, as you
need to soften the glue, and then remove the fragile (and already broken)
glass from the front.

jh