[Wylug-help] Crunched phablet screen

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 21 09:21:33 UTC 2015

On 20/09/2015 19:14, Darren Menachem Drapkin wrote:
> Recently, my no-name phablet got its screen broken.I was leaning against
> a sofa, with the phablet in a pocket.
> I have gone round shops trying to get it repaired.
> Most have said that they can not do it in Leeds and are going to charge
> me £100, at least, to have it repaired somewhere else. One plucky guy
> broke ranks and admitted  that it was a generic part and that I could
> get them online.
> I have looked online and found a place that sells the part/assembly in
> question for $18.00. Now  the hard bit is how to get the old screen off
> and replace it with the new one. If I look up the procedure, can the
> regulars show me what I am doing wrong as I do it? This will probably be
> at October's meeting at the earliest,though.

This is very interesting.  Ihave two Kobo eReaders, the screens of both
having cracked in fairly normal use.  FWIW, when I wanted to get a hard
drive out of a netbook I found a youtube video, followed it, and carried
it out without a problem.  The Kobo is probably not a standard size, so
I hadn't really considered this, but please keep us informed of your
progress.  If you are successful it may give me the incentive to do
something about mine.

I've been lazy because I can still use the devices, but it's a bit
embarrassing when people see the crack and comment on it :-)