[YLUG] Install day and RedHat Query : Thank you

Varsani, Rajendrakumar (PSD) Rajendrakumar.Varsani at psd.defra.gsi.gov.uk
Thu Apr 20 17:11:45 BST 2006

Dudes, you guys kill me with your quirky pet names!  ; )

Thanks for that tho.

I'm afraid it's going to have to be a flavour of DeadRat as that's the
way our little Government Agency is going. No data to save so flattening
it [the partition?] is not an issue. Our local Linux guru also suggested
Centos so two gurus saying the same thing must be right!(?)  :oP

Do you have any tips on where to learn to speak, pilot and master
DeadRat/Centos? From an ageing ex-Unix skills standpoint?

Rajendrakumar.Varsani at psd.defra.gsi.gov.uk
Tel: 01904 455805

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 15:41 +0100, Varsani, Rajendrakumar (PSD) wrote:
> At work we're going the RedHat way not SuSe now so I'd appreciate some

> advice on how to get this onto my laptop. I'd write over the SuSe that

> you chaps did for me at the last install day.

Ugh - this could be messy (as in its likely to be best to strip what you
want off the old install, flatten it, and put the wanted data back
again).

However initially there is the question of what you mean by Red Hat. Do
you mean:-
      * Old Red Hat Linux (version 9 or below) - you really do not want
        to put that on any box, let alone a relatively current laptop.
      * Red Hat Enterprise (version 2.1, 3.x or 4.x) - normally refered
        to as RHEL, but there is also several minor variants.
      * Fedora Core

> Is this going to be available on Install Day? If not, can someone
> point me to the right channels for getting the latest RedHat disks
> please?

Fedora might well be around on an install day.
Old RHL should not be installed - several year old distributions are not
safe to install once they are out of maintenance updates. RHEL cannot be
installed due to licensing restrictions (thats an over simplification,
but will do for now), you could as an alternative use something like
Centos - http://www.centos.org/ - thats our current favoured server
distro, and I know people do use it on laptops although I would expect
some laptop hardware to be poorly supported.

	Nigel.

> However initially there is the question of what you mean by Red Hat.
> Do you mean:-
>       * Old Red Hat Linux (version 9 or below) - you really do not
want
>         to put that on any box, let alone a relatively current laptop.
>       * Red Hat Enterprise (version 2.1, 3.x or 4.x) - normally
refered
>         to as RHEL, but there is also several minor variants.
>       * Fedora Core
   All of which seem to exemplify 'Broken By Design' if my recent
support nightmares at work are anything to go by ... personally, I
wouldn't touch *any* version of DeadRat with an 11ft pole.

Simon

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)

This email and any attachments is intended for the named recipient only.
If you have received it in error you have no authority to use, disclose,
store or copy any of its contents and you should destroy it and inform
the sender.
Whilst this email and associated attachments will have been checked
for known viruses whilst within Defra systems we can accept no
responsibility once it has left our systems.
Communications on Defra's computer systems may be monitored and/or
recorded to secure the effective operation of the system and for other
lawful purposes.