[YLUG] Install day and RedHat Query : Thank you

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 17:22:58 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 17:11 +0100, Varsani, Rajendrakumar (PSD) wrote:
> Dudes, you guys kill me with your quirky pet names!  ; )

He's just bitter and twisted.  The fact is that there are several
distributions - with a high degree of compatibility between them -
within the Red Hat camp, with different intended functionality and
properties.  I run Fedora on my laptop because I am happy with the idea
of fast moving development, the latest toys etc and can handle some
instability, however I run Centos on servers here because its good on
compatibility and stability, and I don't necessarily want to upgrade
several hundred boxes on a 6 month (or 1 year) cycle like I would have
to with Fedora.

> I'm afraid it's going to have to be a flavour of DeadRat as that's the
> way our little Government Agency is going. No data to save so flattening
> it [the partition?] is not an issue. Our local Linux guru also suggested
> Centos so two gurus saying the same thing must be right!(?)  :oP
>
> Do you have any tips on where to learn to speak, pilot and master
> DeadRat/Centos? From an ageing ex-Unix skills standpoint?

I believe there is a Centos based book around - saw it in Borders
recently, but have no idea how good etc - and any information thats for
Red Hat Enterprise Linux will be fine for Centos.  If you just want a
distribution CD then a recent "Linux User" had Centos 4.2 i386 as its
cover disk (DVD), or the Linux Emporium carry it
  http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/
- they also carry real commercial Red Hat.

	Nigel.