[YLUG] Linux stickers

Pete Fenelon pete at fenelon.com
Wed Aug 9 16:36:38 BST 2006

On 09/08/06, Arthur Clune <arthur at clune.org> wrote:

> On 9 Aug 2006, at 15:22, simon at principia.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
> >   Seen one piece of fat penguin clip-art, seen 'em all ...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZSqXUSwHRI
>
> The semiotics of that one are fascinating. Big Oil funds
> anti global warming propaganda via a video that is sneaked
> out as 'home-made' on YouTube but, well, watch it for the
> bizarre Linux link.

Ah, the joys of viral marketing. Wannabe-cool-dudes speaking unto
wannbe-cool-dudes with the aim of making evil capitalist megacorps
look cute.

Talking of viral marketing bilge, has everyone had a chortle at
http://www.killernic.com/Killernic yet? A $280 Ethernet card aimed at
H4RDC0R3 G4MR3ZZZZZ.... Might save nearly a millisecond to your local
router! ;P (Anyone ever mentioned the latency through the rest of
t'internet to their potential customers.... noooooo? ;))

The idea came from some MBA students down in Texas and I have to
admire them for their sheer brass neck in coming up with such an
expensive, overspecced and futile piece of kit - it does appear to
have a fan, lights, and some vaguely sci-fi bits of metal on it so it
no doubt is a perfect match for "l33t" PCs everywhere.

(The sad thing is it might be justified if you were doing something
like SSL acceleration, on-the-fly compression, or something *useful*
on the card.... as it is it's one of the best varieties of snake oil
I've seen since green marker pens for the edge of CDs.)

pete
--
pete at fenelon.com "There's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"