[YLUG] Linux stickers

Arthur Clune arthur at clune.org
Wed Aug 9 16:53:23 BST 2006

On 9 Aug 2006, at 16:36, Pete Fenelon wrote:

Cheers for that link. Snake oil ahoy.

> (The sad thing is it might be justified if you were doing something
> like SSL acceleration, on-the-fly compression, or something *useful*
> on the card.... as it is it's one of the best varieties of snake oil
> I've seen since green marker pens for the edge of CDs.)

As it stands it seems aimed at doing UDP offload. Standard TCP offload
cards do, well, TCP so might be more use. They are of questionable use
in most cases IMO but do at least have the grace to market themselves
at data centres with gb feeds in/out :)

And hey, you can run a Linux shell on this card. Must be l33t.

Still, it's an amusing read. If I read 'Mad Scientist and CEO Harlan
'Tytus'
Beverly' again it'll be too soon though.

It sort of reminds be about the hype about Van Jacobson's ideas for
moving processing of network packets further up the stack. It's starting
to look like once you add back in all the routing/firewall stuff that
the kernel currently does, the speed win goes away. That wasn't obvious
in advnace though.

http://lwn.net/Articles/192767/

Arthur

--
"Some people, when confronted with a problem, think 'I know, I'll use
XML.' Now they have two problems."  - Phillip J. Eby