[YLUG] Linux stickers

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Wed Aug 9 17:20:08 BST 2006

Arthur Clune <arthur at clune.org> writes:

> It sort of reminds be about the hype about Van Jacobson's ideas for
> moving processing of network packets further up the stack. It's
> starting to look like once you add back in all the routing/firewall
> stuff that the kernel currently does, the speed win goes away. That
> wasn't obvious in advnace though.
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/192767/

I was blown away when I read this last year, it was just fantastic.
While it can't be implemented exactly as Van Jacobson originally did
it, it at least highlights very well the deficiencies with the current
systems WRT locking, interrupt handling, data structures, etc.  It
looks like there is now work to integrate some of his ideas into the
networking layer, so it will result in at least some improvement, if
not quite as revolutionary as in its original form.

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
   `-    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848   Please sign and encrypt your mail.