[YLUG] Ati drivers and Suse 10.1

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Thu Aug 10 12:50:00 BST 2006

fis100 at york.ac.uk writes:

> First post as well, I have also been interested in linux for a while,
> but as a beginner have always been put off by the complexity of
> configuring latest hardware in Linux. Two years ago I got the ATI
> Radeon 9600 Pro , and have been strugling since then to make them work
> on linux, using the ati-driver which is patheticly appaling.

Rather than use the proprietary and buggy ATI driver (I assume that's
what ati-driver is), have you tried the free driver that comes with
X.Org?  It's probably not as good WRT 3D acceleration, but it likely
to be more stable.  It gives me pretty good 3D with a R9200, but I'm
not gaming.

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Radeon 9600"
        Driver          "ati"
#       BusID           "PCI:0:16:0"
#       Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
#       Option          "MonitorLayout"         "TMDS,NONE"
#       Option          "SWcursor"              "true"
#       Option          "fbdev"                 "/dev/fb0"
#       Option          "DDCMode"               "true"
EndSection

X.Org provides both "ati" and "radeon" drivers; I'm not sure of the
difference, so you could just try both.  The commented out bits are
just bits I needed to use on my Mac; you may or may not need them
depending on your setup (I'm configuring a DVI flat panel, for
instance).

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
   `-    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848   Please sign and encrypt your mail.