[YLUG] Ati drivers and Suse 10.1

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Thu Aug 10 13:19:51 BST 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 12:12:39PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> fis100 at york.ac.uk writes:
>
> > First post as well, I have also been interested in linux for a while,
> > but as a beginner have always been put off by the complexity of
> > configuring latest hardware in Linux. Two years ago I got the ATI
> > Radeon 9600 Pro , and have been strugling since then to make them work
> > on linux, using the ati-driver which is patheticly appaling.
>
> Rather than use the proprietary and buggy ATI driver (I assume that's
> what ati-driver is), have you tried the free driver that comes with
> X.Org?  It's probably not as good WRT 3D acceleration, but it likely
> to be more stable.  It gives me pretty good 3D with a R9200, but I'm
> not gaming.

Up until very recently the free driver didn't support the 3D pats of
the r300 chip at all, X.org 6.9 and 7.x should support it, but it seems
to lock up quite a lot (n-th hand experience gathered from round the
net).

Ubuntu Dapper apparantly tries to enable free DRI on the r300 cards, so
if the OP is interested in following this route it might be worth trying
an Ubuntu live CD and (if it works) comparing that with the SUSE system.

Ewan