[YLUG] changing screen resolution from the command line

Craig Genner craig at tuxx.org.uk
Sun Aug 13 11:08:32 BST 2006

On Saturday 12 August 2006 15:37, Rachel Cavill wrote:
> hi,
> I've been a bit silly and now my screen resolution is set to something my
> screen can't display - so everytime I try to run X I just get a message
> from my monitor about hw it can't display.
> I can get to a command prompt and have tried changing the screen resolution
> using xf86config and xf86cfg but to no avail, when I reboot and start X
> it's still broken.  I'm running mandrake 10 and the original change which
> threw everything off was made from the mandrke command centre grphical
> interface thingy. Any ideas how to gt back to a working screen resolution?
> Thanks,
> Rachel

I seem to remember from my Mandrake days that you can run the "mandrke command
centre grphical interface thingy" from command line.

Try (as root) running drakeconfig or similar.  Type drake and then tab to see
a list of options, one of those should make sense.

Otherwise it's Arthur's suggestion.

Craig