[YLUG] Spreadsheets in Python?

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Sun Jul 23 16:53:20 BST 2006

Simon Ward wrote:
> A question for the Pythonistas present:
>
> A work-related project that I'm working on demands some kind of
> spreadsheet functionality so that users can input/modify data in a
> relatively painless manner. We have an ad-hoc solution in place right
> now but for large datasets it's mind-buggeringly slow.

Probably I'm missing the point here but what is the spreadsheet part of
this for?  If you want to input and modify data and perform some
advanced calculations on it is this not a case of mysql and associated
glue?  (E.g. if you need python then mysql interfaces with python and
probably php for the various forms assuming a web interface is OK).  Or
is that fundamentally wrong and somehow you need something that a
spreadsheet does easily that would be hard to code yourself?

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Networks & NonLinear Dynamics Group,