[YLUG] Spreadsheets in Python?

Simon Ward simon at principia.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 23 13:48:39 BST 2006

A question for the Pythonistas present:

A work-related project that I'm working on demands some kind of
spreadsheet functionality so that users can input/modify data in a
relatively painless manner. We have an ad-hoc solution in place right
now but for large datasets it's mind-buggeringly slow.

We're toying with the idea of using Gnumeric for data modification etc.,
with an instance of Gnumeric being fork()'d when the user wishes to
modify data, but it contains a whole load of additional fluff that we
just don't need (Excel compatibility is handy, though), and that's
before we get into the nightmare that is building anything GNOME related.

Does anyone know of any spreadsheet applications (or even spreadsheet
classes) written in Python? We don't need anything fancy - the ability
to load, save and modify CSV data is sufficient (plotting of datasets
would be nice, but we have modules that can do that if required), and a
Tkinter-type interface would be handy. I'm aware that Gnumeric can speak
Python, but it appears that a lot of the functionality is only available
from within  Gnumeric itself.

We've already discounted using the NovaGrid spreadsheet widget because
it flatly refuses to work with Python 2.4

Any suggestions?

Simon