[YLUG] Odd ALSA/kdetv sound issue

Anthony Edwards anthony at catfish.nildram.co.uk
Mon Jun 26 00:29:04 BST 2006

I have an odd sound issue which I haven't found the answer to by
Googling, and which none of my Linux using friends and acquaintances
are able to assist with either.

I watch TV using a Hauppauge WinTV PCI card (a mono version), and
kdetv 0.8.2.  This has always worked well, and although the sound is
in mono, the sound output has always been equally split between both
speakers giving a pleasing effect overall.

Following a recent room cleaning session when all of my computers
had their peripherals disconnected and all computer equipment
was temporarily moved to another room prior to being moved back
and re-installed, sound only comes from the left hand speaker when
watching TV using this setup.

This is not a sound card nor speaker issue though; sound files played
using XMMS are played in stereo, as is DVD playback using xine,
so the right hand speaker hasn't failed, nor the sound card's right
hand channel.

There additionally appear to be no configuration options within the
kdetv application affecting balance of mono sound between speakers.
Extensive experimentation using alsamixer has not restored mono sound
output from the right hand speaker either.

Does anyone have any clues?  Since I don't own a TV set and watch TV
using my PC only, I would like to get back to the previous satisfactory
configuration if possible.

TIA.

--
Anthony Edwards