[YLUG] Interesting Networking Problem

Phillip Michael Jordan pmj110 at york.ac.uk
Mon May 8 08:52:00 BST 2006

Njal Munro wrote:
> Now i can confirm where there is a problem but it might not be THE
> problem, routing SHOULD be set up on the
> laptop /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forwarding should be set to 1, but isn't
> after a reboot (of course, it's proc, it's a virtual file system), but
> even setting it to 1 (echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward(yes as
> root, not sudo, root)) and rebooting the webserver to detect the new
> settings does not work.
>
> Now as i said i have had this working once, but an update required my
> laptop to reboot as this obviously screwed the routing.
Rebooting shouldn't be necessary.

> So, if anyone can help, i hope i have been through enough, and if not, i
> shall provide anything that might be needed, it would be nice if anyone
> could help.
The wireless network doesn't know about your private subnet, so you'll
need to either use NAT on the routing machine to translate your
192.168.0.x addresses to the router's external address (wifi in your
case) or if you can have more than one computer on the wireless network,
enable bridging between the wireless and the wired network.

NAT howto:
http://netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//NAT-HOWTO.html

If you opt for NAT, you'll have to permanently enable IP forwarding;
most distributions have a setting in an /etc/sysconfig/ file or so, I'll
leave you to google it for Ubuntu, or wait until someone points it out.
I'm pretty sure it's different from SUSE.

Bridging is fairly straightforward in principle but can be tricky
depending on your existing configuration. You'll need the brctl tool to
set it up, use man pages and google for figuring out how to use it, and
ask if unsure.

~phil