[YLUG] Interesting Networking Problem

Njal Munro neilmunro at gmail.com
Tue May 16 01:13:50 BST 2006

Ok so, i have just bought and installed a new NIC and am awaiting a
wireless adaptor, now the wireless adaptor is going to allow anyone in
my house SSH (or something like that) access to the server, even if
someone else is pysically using the server for some random reason.

Now am going to use the

			 /Laptop 1
modem > server > router > Laptop 2
			 \Laptop 3

Set-up i shall look through the previous replys for links but now i know
exactually how i want to set up this network, can anyone add anything to
the advice list, thanks Stephen for letting me know about ddclient, i
shall definatly check that out and look into it, coz by the sounds of
it, it's what i need.

My presumptions is (since i have not installed ubuntu on the server yet)
that it's onboard network card will be eth0 and the new NIC i added will
be eth1 and the wireless might be eth2, i will have the modem coming
into eth0 and going out to the router on eth1, (it's a cable modem) i
could route the incoming eth0 out to eth1, in a simelar manner to how i
had been trying on the mini network. I remember that
setting /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward to 1, shared a connection, but i
remember that gets reset every reboot, now i could write a script to run
on start up, but i'd much rather have it perminatly set up.

Am i getting my meaning accross, i think i might be confusing myself at
this point, so i shall keep it here, and delve further into this a
little bit at a time.

Many thanks
Neil Munro