[YLUG] Interesting Networking Problem

Njal Munro neilmunro at gmail.com
Mon May 8 16:05:00 BST 2006

Thanks for the replies thus far, i have tried a few things namly this

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth1 down
brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 eth1
dhclient br0

This just seemed to disconnect me and not connect again, however i shall
try again, also i beleive i mentioned the laptop is running dapper
(unstable ubuntu) due to the fact i need the bcm43xx driver and it's
only in kerenl 2.6.15 or higher. I assume that br0 does not require eth0
or eth1 to be active while br0 is active? Also since i couldn't find a
brctl in the ubuntu repo's i checkinstalled it, and it seemed to work.

I can confirm that br0 was created but when i switch to the interface it
just registers that it's disconnected. This is while eth0 and eth1 are
also down, since i am assuming eth0 and eth1 need to be down while br0
is up.

Currently I am only using eth0 for wireless, i am discocnnected from
eth1 and a quick brctl show returned this:

njal at serenity:~$ brctl show

Having only learned about the existance of brctl this morning, I may be
mistaken, however it seems to me, there should be something there, no?
Running the command as brctl show br0 and as sudo return the same
values, is this a problem?

The NAT route (no pun intended) i tried before, i beleive this was how
the network was working before, but as i said after a kernel upgrade i
rebooted and the routing tables(?) were reset.

There would be an easy solution to this problem, does anyone know a
wireless card that'll work in both fedora or ubuntu, preferably nativly,
because i could just set up the desktop as it is.

Eventually the idea is to extend the server beyond my room to be
acccessable by the entire house, so a LAN is going to be required at
some point too, but i wanna take this one step at a time.

Many thanks again.
Neil Munro