[YLUG] Interesting Networking Problem

Phillip Michael Jordan pmj110 at york.ac.uk
Mon May 8 22:06:29 BST 2006

Njal Munro wrote:
> Thanks for the replies thus far, i have tried a few things namly this
>
> ifconfig eth0 down
> ifconfig eth1 down
> brctl addbr br0
> brctl addif br0 eth0
> brctl addif br0 eth1
> dhclient br0

As others have pointed out, I think you shouldn't send the interfaces
down before bridging. I think this messes with the wireless extensions
in a way that dissociates you from the access point. brctl is unlikely
to know about wireless cards, and even less about which SSID and WEP/WPA
key to use, so you'll need to ensure the wireless card is associated.

Check with iwconfig to make sure the access point MAC address, ESSID,
and crypto key are correct after setting up the bridge.

~phil