[YLUG] Interesting Networking Problem

Paul Gibbs paul-listmonkey at pacem.plus.com
Tue May 9 00:17:20 BST 2006

On Monday 08 May 2006 22:06, Phillip Michael Jordan wrote:

> As others have pointed out, I think you shouldn't send the interfaces
> down before bridging. I think this messes with the wireless extensions
> in a way that dissociates you from the access point. brctl is unlikely
> to know about wireless cards, and even less about which SSID and WEP/WPA
> key to use, so you'll need to ensure the wireless card is associated.

I have a bridge set-up at work. (Can't check it 'cos I'm off on paternity
leave ATM). But, IIRC the interfaces are bridged *before* the network is
bought up, and when you bring the network up you do it with "ifup br0". The
rest of the operating system then sees br0 as its single network interface
even though underneath it is running several network cards. All further
networking needs to be configured to use br0.

Paul.<><