[YLUG] Interesting Networking Problem

Stephen steve at patter.mine.nu
Sat May 13 22:37:41 BST 2006

On 13 May 06, Njal Munro (neilmunro at gmail.com) wrote:
> Ok so i need a wee bit more help, just a few things i need to clarify,
> our network is as follows: -
>
> 		         /  Laptop 1
> Modem > Wireless Router	-   Laptop 2
>                          \  Laptop 3
>
> So the websever i run from laptop 1 can be accessed by laptops 2 and 3,
> now, i presume that website can't be accessed from ouside the router?

Well, the default firewall configuration on your wireless router would be not to
allow external addresses to access internal network services, though you can set
up port forwarding if you want the outside world to be able to reach (for
instance) apache on laptop1.

> And if so, my guess is the network mapped out should look like this?
>
> 			 /  Laptop 1
> Modem > Server > Router -   Laptop 2
>                          \  Laptop 3
>
> For the server to both be accessed inside our network and from 'the cold

Thats the simplest way of doing it, though you'll then need a firewall on your
server. Thats basically how I have things set up here, with dyndns (ddclient) so
the server can at least keep the same hostname when its IP changes.
--
Stephen Patterson steve at patter.mine.nu http://patter.mine.nu/ GPG: E3E8E974
Jabber: patter at jabber.earth.li MSN: stephenpatterson893 at hotmail.com
GMail invites to anyone who wants one
"Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door."