[YLUG] Interesting Networking Problem

Njal Munro neilmunro at gmail.com
Sat May 13 23:27:59 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 22:37 +0100, Stephen wrote:
> On 13 May 06, Njal Munro (neilmunro at gmail.com) wrote:
> > Ok so i need a wee bit more help, just a few things i need to clarify,
> > our network is as follows: -
> >
> > 		         /  Laptop 1
> > Modem > Wireless Router	-   Laptop 2
> >                          \  Laptop 3
> >
> > So the websever i run from laptop 1 can be accessed by laptops 2 and 3,
> > now, i presume that website can't be accessed from ouside the router?
>
> Well, the default firewall configuration on your wireless router would be not to
> allow external addresses to access internal network services, though you can set
> up port forwarding if you want the outside world to be able to reach (for
> instance) apache on laptop1.
>
> > And if so, my guess is the network mapped out should look like this?
> >
> > 			 /  Laptop 1
> > Modem > Server > Router -   Laptop 2
> >                          \  Laptop 3
> >
> > For the server to both be accessed inside our network and from 'the cold
>
> Thats the simplest way of doing it, though you'll then need a firewall on your
> server. Thats basically how I have things set up here, with dyndns (ddclient) so
> the server can at least keep the same hostname when its IP changes.

Well it's going to be either debian stable or dapper for the server OS,
but next question is, if we connect the server to the modem, and get a
second network card, we can forward packets to the router? I presume so,
but just need to check....

thanks for the help thus far, again until i get the parts i cant
ACTUALLY test all this, but at least i know the right direction in which
to go.

Many thanks
Neil Munro