[YLUG] Server purchase

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri May 19 11:22:59 BST 2006

Robert Hulme wrote:
>> I've had a brief scout and the hardware RAID I could see
>> involved stupidly expensive SCSI disks -- is this unavoidable?
>
> The Megaraid cards are reasonable inexpensive real hardware SATA RAID
> cards. We use them in our Linux boxen at work.

AHa... I had seen them but wasn't sure if they were the right thing.

> Depending on what the server is going to be doing you could then
> either use normal 7200RPM disks or the 10,000RPM SATA Raptor disks.

Well, it's been running happily on very standard desktop kit for years
(hardware failure notwithstanding) so I guess we don't really need the
extra RPM but it might be nice to future proof.  I will look at the
price trade off.

>> Does this seem a reasonable set up?  Anything I need
>> to think about?
>
> Sounds reasonable to me. There are some projects out there that do
> this kind of thing... I don't really know much about it but
> 'Ultramonkey' rings a bell.

Thanks, I'd come across that one in my web-based searches on the subject
but it's nice to have it confirmed that it does the right kind of thing.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Networks & NonLinear Dynamics Group,