[YLUG] Server purchase

Robert Hulme rob at robhulme.com
Fri May 19 11:44:31 BST 2006

> My plan was to have one RAID machine which failed over to the cheap box
> as an interim measure while the expensive box gets repaired.  I know
> that a cheap homebrew system can run everything we need but hardware
> failures recently and increasing importance on the system mean that we
> need a better system in case of failures.
To be honest with the cost of hardware nowadays versus just the cost
of downtime and maintenance in bringing a downed box back up I would
never not use RAID on a server.

You can afterall just do RAID1 using two disks... and as you only
wanted what 160GB, it's going to be really inexpensive to do that in
software as a minimum.

If you use software RAID (which works very well in Linux) it is a good
idea to have UPS in case of power failure as you won't have the
battery backing on the RAID card. Still - as long as you're using a
reasonably safe file system (like ext3, i.e. NOT reiser) a power
failure is unlikely to cause any major problems.

What is it you're going to be running on the box that requires high
availability?
"98.5% of DNA is considered to be junk DNA with no known purpose.
Maybe it's XML tags." -- Anon

definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Kernighan

http://www.robhulme.com/
http://robhu.livejournal.com/