[YLUG] Server purchase

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri May 19 11:40:32 BST 2006

Robert Hulme wrote:
>> > Sounds reasonable to me. There are some projects out there that do
>> > this kind of thing... I don't really know much about it but
>> > 'Ultramonkey' rings a bell.
>> Thanks, I'd come across that one in my web-based searches on the subject
>> but it's nice to have it confirmed that it does the right kind of thing.
>
> Depending on what applications you're running on it I suspect you'll
> get much higher availability on two 'homemade' boxes with hot failover
> than you will on one really expensive branded box.

My plan was to have one RAID machine which failed over to the cheap box
as an interim measure while the expensive box gets repaired.  I know
that a cheap homebrew system can run everything we need but hardware
failures recently and increasing importance on the system mean that we
need a better system in case of failures.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Networks & NonLinear Dynamics Group,