[YLUG] Server purchase

Robert Hulme rob at robhulme.com
Fri May 19 13:09:20 BST 2006

Given what you've said I would get...

£89 2U Case (RM220 2U RACKMOUNT SERVER CHASSIS BLACK -
http://www.xcase.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_X_Case_RM220_2U_RACKMOUNT_SERVER_CHASSIS.html)
£200 Athlon 64 X2 3800+
£50 motherboard
£60 'good' power supply
£160 2x 300GB SATA disks (in RAID-1)
£134 2x 1GB DDR3200 Crucial Non-ECC RAM
£60 sundries (cables etc)
Total: £754

Would be quite a mean machine for what you want I suspect. Then I'd
rustle up some existing spare box (old desktop etc) that you have to
act as your failover node.

I'd then run Xen on it, use LVM to make snapshots of the disk on a
regular basis and rsync them over to the other box (which would also
run Xen).

Then at a minimum you could just type one command and bring what would
be the same server (with the same MAC address etc) up on the other
box.

So it would be a cold failover solution.

You could go from there to a hot failover solution using the stuff
mentionned at the Linux HA site if that kind of uptime was important
to you.

"98.5% of DNA is considered to be junk DNA with no known purpose.
Maybe it's XML tags." -- Anon

definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Kernighan

http://www.robhulme.com/
http://robhu.livejournal.com/