[YLUG] Server purchase

Richard Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri May 19 13:13:26 BST 2006

Robert Hulme wrote:
> Given what you've said I would get...
>
> £89 2U Case (RM220 2U RACKMOUNT SERVER CHASSIS BLACK -
> http://www.xcase.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_X_Case_RM220_2U_RACKMOUNT_SERVER_CHASSIS.html)
>
> £200 Athlon 64 X2 3800+
> £50 motherboard
> £60 'good' power supply
> £160 2x 300GB SATA disks (in RAID-1)
> £134 2x 1GB DDR3200 Crucial Non-ECC RAM
> £60 sundries (cables etc)
> Total: £754
>
> Would be quite a mean machine for what you want I suspect. Then I'd
> rustle up some existing spare box (old desktop etc) that you have to
> act as your failover node.

Thanks loads for this recommendation -- and to everyone else who has
made suggestions on this thread.  I'm going to think carefully on it
before I make a decision but all the information provided has been very
useful.  It really is very much appreciated.  I'm a bit clueless about
anything beyond desktop machines.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Networks & NonLinear Dynamics Group,