[YLUG] Server purchase

Robert Hulme rob at robhulme.com
Fri May 19 14:49:06 BST 2006

> Oh...  you are absolutely right to question this.  My feeling is that a
> system which the administrator understands throughly is much more likely
> to be reliable than one with a million poorly understood and badly
> implemented failsafes.  I was pretty resistant to the idea of a cluster
> set up initially because I'd rather have a single system I understand
> well.  However, the theory is that someone else will take over the admin
> and there is a (meager) budget to train him to learn all this.
Xen might be a good option.

If you have a good server (server A) running a Xen kernel and with an
LVM partition for your main filesystem you can tell LVM to snapshot
the disk on A and rsync it to B... then if you need to bring the
server up because the first has blown up it is just a case of xm
create xmmyvm on box B.

Of course this doesn't take account of any filesystem / db writes that
have occured since the last update.

"98.5% of DNA is considered to be junk DNA with no known purpose.
Maybe it's XML tags." -- Anon

definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Kernighan

http://www.robhulme.com/
http://robhu.livejournal.com/