[YLUG] Server purchase

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri May 19 14:45:23 BST 2006

Matthew Bloch wrote:
> Hi Richard, my £0.02 --
>
> Yes SCSI is avoidable :)  I'd recommend 3ware SATA controllers.  These have a
> solid hardware RAID implementation with an open-source driver and solid (and
> closed source) control tool.  I think we pay <£200 for a 4-port 9550
> controller.  We also favour Supermicro barebones chassis for being solidly
> built, well-cooled and reliable.  Put in the memory / processor etc. that you
> need (e.g. 4x74GB WD 10,000RPM Raptor drives would give you a bit over 140GB
> in a super-fast and super-cheap RAID10 configuration, or 200Gb in a RAID5)
> and you won't go far wrong -- we use www.tmc-uk.com for supplying both
> Supermicro and 3ware kit.

Thanks for these recommendations.

> Personally if you only *think* you might need a cluster setup, you probably
> don't as you can introduce a million new failure cases if you're not
> careful :-)  I would just budget for a permanent stock of spare bits for one
> decent server, and buy quality parts: power supply, fans, drives etc. which
> are the most likely things to fail.

Oh...  you are absolutely right to question this.  My feeling is that a
system which the administrator understands throughly is much more likely
to be reliable than one with a million poorly understood and badly
implemented failsafes.  I was pretty resistant to the idea of a cluster
set up initially because I'd rather have a single system I understand
well.  However, the theory is that someone else will take over the admin
and there is a (meager) budget to train him to learn all this.

I am by nature extremely cautious in what I do with servers and believe
that unless the admin really understands what is on system then any
failures will be more regular and harder to recover from.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Networks & NonLinear Dynamics Group,