[YLUG] meeting times

richard rbirnie at totalise.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 20:54:50 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 18:55, Gaffer wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> On Monday 13 November 2006 22:53, richard Inscribed Thus:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > The subject of meeting times came up when a few people were chatting
> > in the irc channel this evening. So I thought I'd sound peoples
> > opinions by a channel everyone should see. It has been mentioned that
> > by always holding the meetings on a Tuesday some people can never
> > come because it will clash with something else. This is going to be
> > true for any night of the week.
> >
> > Alex suggested alternating between Tuesdays and Thursdays but this is
> > inconvenient to remember and isn't very helpful to any new people who
> > might want to come along and meet us.
> >
> > I'd like to suggest that we have the meetings on fixed dates each
> > month. Say the 7th and 21st for example. Then we could have one date
> > for talks and one for social. This is easy to remember and has the
> > advantage that the actual days would change each month so everybody
> > should be able to come some of the time.
> >
> > What are peoples opinions?
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Rich
>
> What would you propose when these days fall on Sundays as January  2007
> and October,  or on Saturdays as in April and July 2007 ?
>
> --
> Best Regards:
>      Derrick.
>      Pontefract Linux Users Group.
>      plug at play-net.co.uk

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for the response. Basically it depends what people want. I'm just
fishing for suggestions to try and get a consensus opinion. Personally I have
no problem with meetings being at weekends if that's when the dates fall but
I appreciate that may not be the same for everybody.

The idea of having the meetings on fixed dates was exactly that the day of the
week would change. I don't think we'll ever find a day that suits everybody.
The idea is more that everybody can get to some of the meetings which opens
it up to more people. The flip side of this is that it is unlikely that
people will be able to go to every meeting. If that means some people can't
make it at a weekend so be it. It may be the case that having the meetings at
a weekend will be better for other people. To me that is no different to the
current situation where some people can't come on a Tuesday. What I was
aiming for is the idea that all of the people can come to some of the
meetings. How we achieve this is up for discussion.

If people particularly want to avoid weekends please say so. Then we could
have some set adjustment for those situations. For example the meeting
always shifts to the following Monday.

Come on speak up you apathetic bunch :)

Rich