[YLUG] meeting times

Nicholas Thomas lupine at yorkshire-pagans.org.uk
Tue Nov 14 21:08:07 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 20:54, richard wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 November 2006 18:55, Gaffer wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > On Monday 13 November 2006 22:53, richard Inscribed Thus:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > The subject of meeting times came up when a few people were chatting
> > > in the irc channel this evening. So I thought I'd sound peoples
> > > opinions by a channel everyone should see. It has been mentioned that
> > > by always holding the meetings on a Tuesday some people can never
> > > come because it will clash with something else. This is going to be
> > > true for any night of the week.
> > >
> > > Alex suggested alternating between Tuesdays and Thursdays but this is
> > > inconvenient to remember and isn't very helpful to any new people who
> > > might want to come along and meet us.
> > >
> > > I'd like to suggest that we have the meetings on fixed dates each
> > > month. Say the 7th and 21st for example. Then we could have one date
> > > for talks and one for social. This is easy to remember and has the
> > > advantage that the actual days would change each month so everybody
> > > should be able to come some of the time.
> > >
> > > What are peoples opinions?
> > >
> > > regards,
> > >
> > > Rich
> >
> > What would you propose when these days fall on Sundays as January  2007
> > and October,  or on Saturdays as in April and July 2007 ?
> >
> > --
> > Best Regards:
> >      Derrick.
> >      Pontefract Linux Users Group.
> >      plug at play-net.co.uk
>
> Hi Derrick,
>
> Thanks for the response. Basically it depends what people want. I'm just
> fishing for suggestions to try and get a consensus opinion. Personally I
> have no problem with meetings being at weekends if that's when the dates
> fall but I appreciate that may not be the same for everybody.
>
> The idea of having the meetings on fixed dates was exactly that the day of
> the week would change. I don't think we'll ever find a day that suits
> everybody. The idea is more that everybody can get to some of the meetings
> which opens it up to more people. The flip side of this is that it is
> unlikely that people will be able to go to every meeting. If that means
> some people can't make it at a weekend so be it. It may be the case that
> having the meetings at a weekend will be better for other people. To me
> that is no different to the current situation where some people can't come
> on a Tuesday. What I was aiming for is the idea that all of the people can
> come to some of the meetings. How we achieve this is up for discussion.
>
> If people particularly want to avoid weekends please say so. Then we could
> have some set adjustment for those situations. For example the meeting
> always shifts to the following Monday.
>
> Come on speak up you apathetic bunch :)
>
> Rich

:p

I'm one of those who can't make Tuesdays, so any change would be good.
Weekends are better than good :)

One option could be to increase the frequency of meetings - say, add an extra
one in the middle of the month (or something), which would probably allow the
majority of people to make 2 a month or so. But I'm not too fussed.

xF,

...Nick