[YLUG] GPG signatures (was: Talk volunteers)

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 6 12:36:47 BST 2006

Jan Tobias Muehlberg wrote:

--%<--

> Consider the e-mail [1] I send to our list. This is a
> multipart MIME message which has two different parts. One is the
> text I wrote (starting at line 22: "Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset=us-ascii"), the other one is the signature (line 61:
> extract both parts [2,3] and store the text message as
> "text.txt" and the signature as "sig.txt". Now something like
>
>  $ gpg --verify sig.txt text.txt
>
> will work.

OK.  I've now got all this to work thanks.  Although you'd not believe
the head-scratching that's been involved.

I copied and verified the examples you posted on the web fine, flushed
with success I tried to make my own from the original message and
failed.  I use Mutt and by pressing 'v' you can see the two sections of
the message.  I saved these as text.txt and sig.txt and ran the gpg
command above, but got the Bad signature reply.  Puzzled, I tried the
same technique on David Harker's in-line signature and this produced a
good signature.  Even more puzzled!  Finally, I opened the message in my
text editor and tried saving the two sections to their respective file
names and couldn't get that to work either.  I was about to give it up
as a bad job and a dodgy editor when I realised that by default I have
line numbering set and this was being copied too.  Aargh!

So, no software problems.  Just the plain old PEBKAC!

Thanks for helping to ram the square peg of knowledge into the round
hole of my head/brain thingy.

Cheers,

Al

--