[YLUG] SCART to VGA connectors?

Philip Stewart philip at philipstewart.me.uk
Tue Oct 10 15:47:25 BST 2006

Simon Ward wrote:
> This isn't a Linux problem per se, but I'm guessing that someone on here
>  might be able to help.
>
> Now that I no longer have a TV, I'd like to watch DVDs without having to
> sit in front of the computer to do it. I have a perfectly functional DVD
> player and a 'spare' TFT monitor but am unsure how to connect them given
> that all of the SCART->VGA cables I've seen loudly state that they're
> unsuitable for connection directly to a monitor and should go to a
> projector instead. I'd thought of using one of the console-orientated
> VGA boxen but none of them have SCART input (even Lik-Sang drew a blank
> :-( )
>
> Has anyone here done what I'm trying to do? Buying a new TV isn't an
> option (I have fundamental objections to the TV license) and buying a
> projector certainly isn't (not enough money or wall space :-) )

As others have commented, it's not just a case of getting a lead - the
TFT will want separate H & V sync pulses, but a composite (or s-video or
component) output has the syncs included with the picture.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=AV09331 will
do the trick, or any of the others linked to earlier, but the picture
quality will be crummy on your nice shiny tft due to the image being
converted to the resolution of the TFT (even if you set the box to
output at the native resolution.)

Philip