[YLUG] I.T. consultancies/software houses in York area?

Robert Hulme rob at robhulme.com
Tue Oct 10 18:55:11 BST 2006

> Serious question - why Ruby? I tend to view it as Perl 6, but Ruby on
> Rails was/is innovative and has pushed Ruby a long way. Anyone on the
> list use it and care to give me a précis of its virtues?
I think an honest answer would be that Python, Perl, and Ruby all have
an incredible amount in common - far more than differs.

Ruby on Rails (which I spend a fair amount of time nowadays writing
stuff in) is pretty good, but it's considered the 'PHP' of the Ruby
world. If you want a web app with CRUD it's pretty amazing. If you
want to engineer something that is much more complex then you'd do
well to look at other Ruby frameworks like Nitro.

I get the impression that the SQL persistence layer in Turbo Gears
(Python) is better too.

-Rob

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to
persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

http://www.robhulme.com/
http://robhu.livejournal.com/