[YLUG] I.T. consultancies/software houses in York area?

Simon Ward simon at principia.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 18:56:17 BST 2006

Arthur Clune wrote:

> Serious question - why Ruby? I tend to view it as Perl 6
   That's an interesting take on things.

   Although Ruby does tend to look like what you'd get if you rammed
Python and Perl together at high speed, it's handling of object
orientation is streets ahead of Perl 5 (whose OO capabilities I maintain
are a horrific kludge) but not quite as nice as Python. I tried to get
enthusiastic about it, but it seemed too much like reinvention of the
wheel and not exactly suitable for the kind of things I'm apt to write
anyway.

   Then again, my language compass is spinning at high speed as a result
of playing with C# and IronPython :-)

Simon