[YLUG] I.T. consultancies/software houses in York area?

Robert Hulme rob at robhulme.com
Tue Oct 10 19:06:08 BST 2006

> There's two - SQLObject (ActiveRecord pattern) or SQLAlchemy
> (DataMapper pattern). The latter will be the standard in a future
> version and is much better IMO. More flexible, faster, generally
> nicer, but there's more to learn. Using the
> sqlalchemy.ext.activemapper can give the best of both worlds.
For comparison, my experience of ActiveRecord has been that it's fine
if you just want to use it to persist objects (and object trees) but
if you want to do something funky with it (e.g. have properties of
your object that are derived from VIEWs) then it gets quite klunky.

I don't see anyone intending to fix this either, because ActiveRecord
basically exists for Rails and people tend not to want to do complex
stuff like that in Rails.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to
persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

http://www.robhulme.com/
http://robhu.livejournal.com/