[YLUG] I.T. consultancies/software houses in York area?

Doug Winter doug at isotoma.com
Wed Oct 11 12:21:04 BST 2006

Simon Ward wrote:
> Robert Hulme wrote:
>
>> It doesn't mention blocks though oddly... I heard that Guido was quite
>> enamoured by blocks so maybe they're in Python too now.
>   If I'm reading into it correctly, they've always been in Python in the
> guise of the dreaded lambda.

Not quite - the lack of blocks is a pain in the arse, although it is
only syntax sugar (the language supports all the features you need).
I'd love proper blocks myself, it's the one language feature I think
python lacks.

You can do pretty much everything you want using generators, or using
named functions, it can just feel a bit backwards.

The new with statement, from PEP 343[1] will help a lot though.

Cheers,

Doug.

[1] http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/pep-343.html

--
doug at isotoma.com   / Isotoma, Open Source Software Consulting
Tel: 01904 567 349 / Mobile: 07879 423002 / Fax: 020 79006980