Python [was Re: [YLUG] I.T. consultancies/software houses in York area?]

Arthur Clune arthur at clune.org
Wed Oct 11 13:51:35 BST 2006

On 11 Oct 2006, at 12:21, Doug Winter wrote:

> Not quite - the lack of blocks is a pain in the arse, although it
> is only syntax sugar (the language supports all the features you
> need). I'd love proper blocks myself, it's the one language feature
> I think python lacks

lambda functions not restricted to just one line? My understanding
here was that Guido didn't like the idea of it being possible to
create new syntax a la lisp macros

> You can do pretty much everything you want using generators, or
> using named functions, it can just feel a bit backwards.

The new co-routines in 2.5 seem to make a certain class of problems
much easier

> The new with statement, from PEP 343[1] will help a lot though.

Indeed a useful addition.

Arthur

--
He's a stranger to freedom