[YLUG] Publicity in general

Nicholas Thomas lupine at yorkshire-pagans.org.uk
Fri Oct 13 19:22:01 BST 2006

On Friday 13 October 2006 00:27, Robert Hulme wrote:
> > > But why is there no publicity at all? The website [2] says nothing
> > > about future meetings except from a friendly "Not yet scheduled".
> >
> > This is my fault. I took it upon myself to volunteer (in #ylug) to do
> > this but things in my life have since taken over.
>
> OK I've updated it: http://york.lug.org.uk/calendar.shtml
>
> Please go on and make some suggestions!
>
> In particular:
> 1. We have the GPG talk next, who volunteered for the next two? I
> think we have 3 other people who have offered to do talks but I can't
> find who and what they volunteered for (sorry :-S). If you're
> volunteering can you please reply and say what your topic is and what
> the date is you want? I'll update the page accordingly
> 2. Alex could you do some magic and get the most recent event to
> appear on the front page of the site?
> 3. Zoe - I think you said you would provide some kind of map with
> circles around the appropriate university locations? At the moment I
> imagine finding where Z/abc at the university is would be non trivial
> for us non-university types.
>
> -Rob

I did volunteer to do a talk on Beryl/compositing window managers/UI bling,
IIRC. Not having a live desktop to play with during the talk would make it
less fun, though, and my tower is pretty heavy (though it's possible to do, I
guess :) )

Since most people use Ubuntu, it seems, it'd probably be best to wait for a
couple of months so that a reasonable proportion of people have upgraded to
edgy (it would give me time to write enough junk to make the talk last an
hour, as well!)... it all works in Dapper too, but life is much easier with
Edgy.

That's assuming people are interested, of course. It'd be history -
rationale - current events - bit of showing off with rain + wobbly windows +
etc. - what it means for the future - how to install with x, y, z
combinations (maybe put that last onto little mix 'n match A5/A6 cards to
hand out, according to exactly what sort of X Y and Z people have).

I'm not a hugely great public speaker, but I'm not terrible, either ;). Would
have to make sure I didn't accidentally slip into my last talk (/Mytilus
edulis/ biology and behaviour) though...

xF,

...Nick