[YLUG] Install prerequisites

Zoe Stephenson zrs1 at york.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 12:13:54 BST 2006

Hi guys,
  There are still a lot of things outstanding for the install day,
please read through and then nominate yourself for anything you can
provide, plus any other issues I've not covered.  Sorry to badger
people with a long email, but time's a-pressin'.

Equipment:

Nick has confirmed a load of network cables, equipment, power strips,
power leads from comprec.

Do we want a wifi access point (off the network, as last year) to check
wifi setup?

The VGA cable in the room hopefully works OK, but a backup would be
useful, as would an audio cable.

We've used a local cache as a network install source in the past.  I
assume we want to do this again.  Who has the necessary knowledge to
set this up and provide installation instructions to get an install
to look at the local cache during the install and then the internet
for afterwards?

We need to have instructions ready for users wanting to connect from
campus accommodation.  I couldn't find any instructions on the infodesk
page, but I might not have looked hard enough.  Is there someone on the
list who can try this out?

We need volounteers to be installers on the install weekend.

I'd like to run a practice session to debug the setup in advance,
probably at a location near to our source of test computers (comprec
have agreed to let us practice on a range of equipment as long as we
hand it back with login details).  My house at Nicholas Gardens is
close enough, but there may be somewhere closer?  I'm busy most of the
coming Saturday and all of the following weekend, so my preferences
would be either this coming Friday evening (20th October) or Sunday
afternoon (22nd October).  We'd need to set up local cache, run
installs and refine our instruction sheet for the day.

Install CDs:

The wiki is unclear on how many install CDs we have available, can
we get a nod from anyone who's ordered and received CDs for this
install?  Would some of them be available for the practice session?

Publicity:

There are poster and flyers on the wiki, ready to be printed and given
out.  Tobias has a stash of flyers spare too.  We need to hit town over
the next couple of weekends and distribute anywhere that will let us.
Local computer shops, geeky hang-outs, internet cafes.  Any offers to
spread publicity, do please shout.  Daily Info on campus needs looking
at, too, and posters up on student boards need to go through student
union channels, I think.  Is anyone in touch with other local press on
a regular basis?  It's probably a bit late to get any mention in this
year, but perhaps someone could find out what the process is for future
events?

Internet Access:

I'll try to arrange this.

Software:

Do we want to provide CDs of open-source software for non-Linux OSs,
in case people show up and want to try the apps without installing
Linux?

The Ubuntu FAQ contains a list of packages that people often want to
install.  I noted some of these on the wiki.  We should finalise
the list and make sure that all of the packages are available.

Wiki:

The install day wiki is at:

  http://york.lug.org.uk/wiki/index.php/YLUGInstallDay06

Plus, it's linked from the main page.  Please visit and update as
well as replying to this email.

Priorities:

- agreeing details of the install process and practice
- publicity distribution
- volounteers for the weekend

--
 -- zoe