[YLUG] Wikifying the website (or not)

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Wed Oct 18 21:19:27 BST 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 03:54:51PM +0200, Jan Tobias Muehlberg wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 04:45:04PM +0100, Zoe Stephenson wrote:
> > As long as someone's willing to put the time in to make a decent job of
> > setting up relevant structure so that we can migrate the existing
> > content, then I'm all for it.
>
> Didn't I already offer to do it? :-)
>
> I won't start with this before the Install Day since we don't
> want to irritate google. Perhaps we could spend some time on one
> of our next meetings to discuss what to migrate into a Wiki and
> how to do it.

That sounds like a plan. I think we need to consider whether to keep a
similar look to the current site, but wiki based, or whether to go for
an all new look. I think the current site has considerable retro
quaintness value, but I'm not sure that's quite the right image. I was
quite impressed with how much your group's site didn't look like
MediaWiki so I'm feeling pretty confident that we can decide on a look
and then find a way to make it work. Also, while I don't think it's wiki
based I am rather taken with the look of Ryedale's front page[1], it's
clean, but has a lot of useful stuff right there.

I was also thinking a bit about who should get to edit the wiki and who
shouldn't - I'm inclined towards thinking that allowing anyone to create
an account, then restricting edits to people with accounts should hold
most of the spam (will it?), but I did wonder whether it might be
possible to get MediaWiki (does anyone want to suggest a wiki other than
MW, by the way, before we get completely committed?) to authenticate
against the Mailman subscription list using email addresses as usernames
- that way you get to take advantage of Mailman's checking of the
address. Before I make a prat of myself asking whether that's doable on
the lugbox does anyone have the first clue if it's even theoretically
possible?

Ewan

[1] <http://ryedale.lug.org.uk/>